Thursday, September 27, 2007

I should have ordered the burger

6:30 Dinner at Bosco's. The 22 year old waitress calls me hon. Harlow won't stop fussing. I'm really thinking I should get the salmon. The pressure is on. I surprise myself by going with the ahi tuna.

6:42 Duck spring rolls. Not as good as the ones at Do, but they still vanish off the plate in seconds.

6:58 The Tuna arrives.

7:30 I feel hot. My face feels really hot. Burning hot. My head is starting to throb. I had a glass of wine. Just one, right? Wow, my head really hurts. No, this does not stop me from suggesting we go to Sweet for dessert.

7:55 Sweet! We're at Sweet. Except I have a powerful hankering for coffee. Anything to stop this headache. I talk to a pregnant girl and tell her about Mothersville, all the while wondering if my face looks as tomato-ish as it feels. I need to sit down.

8:10 Caroline confirms that yes, I am as red as I feel. Caleb tells me I look drunk. I'm too dizzy to come up with a snappy retort. My heart is racing. I told the waitress decaf, right? Caleb looks concerned. I'm starting to have trouble breathing through my nose. I am concerned, too.

8:30 Oh my god I am red. Like painted with a red sharpie red. So is my chest. And my back. And my left foot? What the hell?

8:32 I take a benadryl

8:33 Wow. You could fry an egg on my face. Yet all I want to do is get in the tub. Ooh, stomach is making scary noises. I get on the internet. Allergy to wine? No. Let's google "flushing, red, headache"

8:45 Scombroid fish poisoning.
8:46 No, that sounds way too exotic.
8:47 The symptoms match mine exactly.
8:50 I call Bosco's. The manager keeps insisting everything was prepared in olive oil. But it's the good fat, right?
8:51 Ladies and gentlemen, I give you scombroid fish poisoning.
8:52 Oh wow. Scombroid. This sounds so fancy. I read further. It's from tuna that's been left out too long and then cooked but all the creepy crawlies have left their mark. Oh god I want to puke. Oh wait, I see it's coming up on the list.
9:00 Still red.
9:15 Hey, now we're in the pink family!
9:20 Ooh boy. Head and stomach haven't gotten the benadryl memo...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Does the scombroid come with new potatoes or did you get the steamed vegetables?

Sassy Molassy said...

Oh no! You just cannot catch a break.

Stephanie said...

Ugh! I'm so sorry. I admire your dedication to your blog, though. I don't think I would have had the energy to type that one up.

Chip said...

Yikes! So sorry.

I actually had the ahi tuna tacos there (and reviewed them on the DWM "Convergence" review of Bosco's)and loved them. Maybe I was lucky.

Stacey Greenberg said...

were you googling on your fancy iphone at sweet?

:)

i hope you are feeling better now!!

Memphisotan said...

Just confirms the fact that tuna is inherently evil.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Glad you made it through ok. I found your blog via Mothersville and am delighted that you're there! Dave and I have just had our own wee critter and have a blog about the little guy as well. Hope to see you next time we're in Memphis!

Followers